Sunday 9 December 2007

What's new?

Not much, really.

I've changed over to this address because the set up of my old blog wasn't much to my taste and I couldn't change it. It think that this one is cleaner and simpler. The pictures are displayed in an ok format and that is all I need really. Too many gadgets confuse me ;)

Last week I had a cold and took 2 days off work. I'm better, but still not 100%. In spite of my poor health, I manage to do do a few interesting things.

On the 29th I went to Alexandra Palace to see Interpol. The gig was very good. The only downside was the venue. I like Alexandra Palace because it is very close to my place, but I don't think it is very good for gigs. The only way to see the stage is to be right in front. There is not enough gradient and, unless you are very tall, you can't see jack. The Brixton Academy is great. Even if you stay at the back, you can always see the stage. Even the Camden Palace, sorry it is called Koko now, is much better. I went to see The Two Gallants last month and I had a perfect view. Anyway, in spite of not being able to see much, I enjoyed myself a lot. Surely more than the people that went to see Ian Brown that night. Don't get me wrong, I liked The Stone Roses, but Mr Brown isn't very good live...



I also went to the cinema to see "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". I thought the film was amazing. There isn't nothing about it I didn't like. The acting, photography, costumes and story-line were all perfect. In spite of being nearly 3 hours long, the film kept me entertained, excited and hypnotized by its beauty and eerie atmosphere.
Unlike previous portrayals and representations of the legend of Jesse James, this story keeps the focus on the relationship between James and Robert Ford. The film is more like a psychological study of the mutual disintegration of two men. I really liked this film and warmly recommend it. I've always been strangely fascinated by the mysteriuos persona of Jesse James, but I could never find a film that could do him justice or go beyond the guns and the robberies. There are a few websites dedicated to Mr James and I was pleasantly surprised to read words of praise for the movie on the James' Family website itself: "Brad Pitt has stripped away the myth, the lore, the western and its gratuituos violence. What he has left with us is the man himself: Jesse James".


This is the real Jesse James at approx. 21


And this is Robert Ford at more or less the same age. He's holding the gun he used to kill Jesse James. At the time he was 20 and Jesse James was 34 years old.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, watched Jesse James last night, and loved everything about it.
    Brad is such a good actor.

    ReplyDelete