Monday 14 March 2011

FLOWERS AND WOODS

Beauty hides in the most unexpected places...

I have noticed this little cherry tree while walking through a depressing car park on my way to work (it is depressing because it is all bricks and cement in the middle of an estate and also because it is on my way to work).

Somehow it reminded me of the ending of Nagisa Oshima's film Gohatto... beauty poetically linked to evil and death...
Talking about films and Japanese cinema, last night I went to see Norwegian Wood.

I liked it although, in my opinion, it doesn't fully convey the emotions of Murakami's novel. It is undoubtely beautifully shot, but it possibly focuses too much on despair and doesn't portray other aspects narrated in the book. Maybe the changes to the plot took away a bit of the magic, especially if considering the main character, Watanabe. I still enjoyed it a lot. Ken'ichi Matsuyama was very good (and very cute, as always!).

No comments:

Post a Comment