Saturday 7 June 2008

TRIP TO JAPAN 2 (KAMAKURA)


Early in the morning I went with Odhran to Yokohama to look for his "grand-uncle" grave. He was a soldier in the British Army and died in a war-prisoner camp in 1944. It took a while to find the military cemetery, but in the end we found it. It was a very green and peaceful place. The cemetery attendant was very nice and helped us locate the grave. He kept on apologising to me, because he though my grandad was buried there. I found it rather sweet.



A big ship in Yokohama's Maritime Memorial.


We then reunited with the others at Kamakura Station and we proceeded to visit the city. This is Daibutsu, the Great Buddha of Kamakura. So imponent!

It emanates great calm and clarity of mind.



Ice-cream? Oh yeah!!! I'll have two ;)


Volpe, too!

Cat-san :)







A bell-maker.

Oden from an old lady at the market.


More prayers...

Incense offerings. I love incense and the smell was everywhere in the air at Kamakura. So nice!

Calla Lilies and big Koi. They are always hungry.


First to arrive at the Zeniarai-benten! This is a Shinto shrine with a cave-like entrance. Visitors come here to wash their money in a natural spring with the hope of financial success.

Cat was very keen to wash her money, but she struggled a bit to reach the shrine... Di Caprio!!! Ha, ha! (well, this is a long story...)

My money-washing setto! Incence, candles and a basket for the money. Apparently the day of our visit to the shrine was a special one. The power of the spring was supposedly double!



This is made of hundreds of origami cranes.









Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu.

Eirik, Cat and Volpe.

Cat & I.

Very much needed Yebisu!

Happiness is... a soba restaurant after a long day. This was really delicious. You could see the noodles being made as you entered the restaurant.

I was even happier to taste my Japanese chestnut montblanc form Fujiya. This was back at the hotel in Tokyo :D

2 comments:

  1. Lo Zeniarai-benten...il mio shrine preferito :) io ci sono stata con Aki!!
    E anche noi abbiamo mangiato il gelato nello stesso posto :D Oishii desu ne?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, don't tell me that you were having green tea ice cream? I'm obsessed with it ...

    ReplyDelete